Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Life with the Maasai

This last weekend I was able to go camping near the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. While camping I met a Maasai Man named Daniel. He was terribly friendly and we became good friends over the course of 2 1/2 days. He showed us around his village and even inside his home.


Daniel and I on some rocks near where he lives and where we camped.



Daniel's family.




The largest room inside Daniel's mud hut.




Here is the kitchen area.





This is a side room used for....???




This is a "boma" which is used for keeping livestock in at night.




Maasai herdsmen leading their cattle down the middle of the road. This is a common sight in the rural areas of Kenya.




This boma is taller and made of timbers in order to keep the sheep in and the leopards out.




Another boma used for sheep and goats.




Maasai homes are made of sticks, mud, and manure.




Daniel and I shortly before we left for the weekend.


3 comments:

Violetta said...

WOW!!!! You've got a friend there! And didn't tell that before?

Wonderful pictures!!! I'm so happy for you=)

That's nice to make friends so quickly- I like it very much- It's part of my culture=)

Looking forward to see the rest of photos,
me=)

Florida Girl said...

Very cool Tys! It makes me feel like I live in mansion! I sure enjoyed your pictures. Keep them coming :)! Love you!

IRNHIDE said...

Okay after seeing all the wild life I'm kinda jealous!